Title: The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1)
Author: Rick Riordan
Goodreads Summary: Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .
Rating: 5+ Stars
Review: If you thought the synopsis was intriguing, you'll love the book. Just trust me. Keep reading this review.

So yeah, I swore I wouldn't ever review MG again (it's too time-consuming, and the books are tiny, each one takes about forty minutes at the most), but I somehow convinced myself that The Sword of Summer doesn't count. It was everything I expected- quirky, hilarious, a big adventure- as well as so much more.

At the start, I was getting bored of the funny chapter headlines and Magnus' humor. However, Rick Riordan got right into the action, which I loved; he skipped the five chapter introductions that I've read before.

I love how Annabeth is still part of the book! A minor but there nonetheless. I've missed her for sure. Magnus is definitely not a warrior, but he is him, and he is useful to his crew. Like Percy, Magnus isn't my kind of book boyfriend, but I'm sure he'll appeal to some (he's single girls!!!).

After I was about a quarter of the way through, the book went from 5 stars to 5+, which I personally was surprised by; I'd thought it would be a solid 5, but nothing more. The book went from 2x speed to 4x, and it sped up so much more. I was from then that I really start to enjoy The Sword of Summer. I absolutely loved the epilogue, it was mystic, but I have a feeling it will connect up with The Hammer of Thor, book two. It left me wanting more for sure.
Purchase: Amazon
Recommended for: Fans of mythology. Here's another Rick Riordan masterpiece.