The Kill Order (The Maze Runner #0.5) by James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Goodreads Summary: 
The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.

Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.

Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next. Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there’s something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it’s mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.

Mark and Trina are convinced there’s a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they’re determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you’re worth more dead than alive.
Rating: 2 Stars
Review: 
Took me a long time to read this with many breaks, but I finally finished it. Perhaps that affected the rating, along with me being a speed reader, but I'm not certain; this review is entirely my opinion and based on my reading style.

I didn't get bored too often in The Kill Order, I just found it somewhat plain. Yes, there is lots of adventure, but it didn't feel that genuine to me. As for why, I have no idea.

The Kill Order is written in third person, present tense. There are flashbacks to give the reader insight and a background story, which is written in past tense. These are brought in the form of Mark's 'nightmares'. While they were intended to give background information, I felt like they were quite sudden and unwarranted; I'd start reading in past tense, then realise that the setting and characters weren't right, and finally realise I was in one of Mark's nightmares.

Mark is a boy rescued by Alec, an ex military soldier. His love interest is Trina, his former neighbour and the only girl his age. A lot of people die, including many from their group. As they travel, they find deadly information and discover a cold and twisted truth.

I felt that the epilogue was my favourite part. It didn't relate to the rest of The Kill Order at all, and I felt that it was the true prequel to The Maze Runner as it related directly to a younger version of Thomas.
Purchase Location: Borrowed From Library
Edition:
 Ebook
Buy the book:
Book Depository