Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas #1) by Charlaine Harris
Publisher: Gollancz
Goodreads Summary: 
Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It's a pretty standard dried-up western town.
There's a pawnshop (where someone lives in the basement and runs the store during the night). There's a diner (although those folk who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there's new resident: Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he's found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own).

If you stop at the one traffic light in town, then everything looks normal. But if you stay a while, you might learn the truth...
Rating: 3 Stars
Review: 
I liked it and disliked it, loved it and hated it. I loved the mystery and intrigue of Midnight, the interesting citizens and their hidden, slowly revealed pasts. I liked the mystery thriller element that was entwined with the story. I disliked that the story was told from a third person omniscient, and there was no real main character, but instead the entire town of Midnight contributed to the perspective of the story. The second half of Midnight Crossroad was all boring, nothing happened.

Honestly, I was expecting a more fast paced supernatural mystery. I didn't think all the foreshadowing was necessary, and I believe that plenty of chapters were not required, and if they'd been replaced by better content I would've enjoyed Midnight Crossroad a lot more. I really liked the way all the characters were slowly unveiled, but Midnight Crossroad on a whole was just a set up for Day Shift.

In general, I didn't hate the book; it drew me in and fascinated me. However at times, I got bored. The action is good and well written, but sometimes days passed before anything interesting happened. I have a feeling Day Shift will be a lot better than Midnight Crossroad, due to the intense effort put into using Midnight Crossroad as a set up for Day Shift.
Purchase Location: Borrowed From Library
Edition:
 Hardcover
Buy the book:
Book Depository
Recommended for: Fans of mystery.