The Last Star (The Fifth Wave #3) by Rick Yancey
Publisher: Penguin
Goodreads Summary: 
The enemy is Other. The enemy is us.

They’re down here, they’re up there, they’re nowhere. They want the Earth, they want us to have it. They came to wipe us out, they came to save us.

But beneath these riddles lies one truth: Cassie has been betrayed. So has Ringer. Zombie. Nugget. And all 7.5 billion people who used to live on our planet. Betrayed first by the Others, and now by ourselves.

In these last days, Earth’s remaining survivors will need to decide what’s more important: saving themselves…or saving what makes us human.
Rating: 3 Stars
Review: 
I can't really say much other than 'this book confused me'. I really like the idea and plot line of The Last Star, but it really wasn't executed well enough to make it a good book.

I've always had mixed feelings about Cassie. Liked her at times, hated her, that kind of thing. Cassie in The Last Star is no different. Ringer, on the other hand is an awesome character. Badass, unstoppable and extremely smart.

As I turned the pages, I really didn't see where the story was going. It seemed like everything was at a stand still, not even going in circles, just halted, suspended. Nothing much happened other than a trip where they met opposition, over and over again throughout the book.

The last fifty or so pages were a lot more interesting, and included action. The ending was very unexpected, and I have to say, I didn't really like it and felt that it was very random. It was somewhat impossible, and those actions were barely explained in the epilogue. Also, Eviopeia got blown up...

The series on a whole wasn't terrible, but I feel like ending the series at the end of The Infinite Sea is better than reading The Last Star, unless you really want to.
Purchase Location: Borrowed From Library
Edition:
Paperback
Buy the book:
Book Depository
Quotes: "This was it, the thing neither of us could put our fingers on, the unbreakable bond between love and fear. [He's] the love. I am the fear."

"I should give them three different names to keep them straight: Ben, Has-Ben, and What-Might-Have-Ben."

"Why do we always get the [one] we deserve instead of the [one] we want?"

"Your past is what you are."

"I wanted to punch him, caress him, kick him, hold him."

"[He] is looking straight down at the floor like he's never seen one before. What is this amazing hard surface under my feet?"

"What's the different between thinking it and actually being it? Is there a difference?"
Recommended for: Fans of Sci-fi.