Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books
Goodreads Summary: 
If you could change your story, would you?

Jane has lived a mostly ordinary life, raised by her recently deceased aunt Magnolia, whom she counted on to turn life into an adventure. Without Aunt Magnolia, Jane is directionless. Then an old acquaintance, the glamorous and capricious Kiran Thrash, blows back into Jane’s life and invites her to a gala at the Thrashes’ extravagant island mansion called Tu Reviens. Jane remembers her aunt telling her: “If anyone ever invites you to Tu Reviens, promise me that you’ll go.”

What Jane doesn’t know is that at Tu Reviens her story will change; the house will offer her five choices that could ultimately determine the course of her untethered life. But every choice comes with a price. She might fall in love, she might lose her life, she might come face-to-face with herself. At Tu Reviens, anything is possible.
Rating:
Review: 
After her Aunt Magnolia dies, Jane is left unsure of what to do with her life until one day, the enigmatic Kiran Thrash invites her to attend a gala at Tu Reviens, Jane accepts, remembering the promise she made to her aunt: if she is ever invited to Tu Reviens, she must accept.

I love the idea of this book and there are some amazing parts. Kiran and Patrick have a lot of depth and hidden layers. Jane goes on some crazy adventures. Hidden motives, strange late night activities, mystery. All of this was amazing, well written and it kept me interested. But, well, there were many things I didn't like too.

The (lack of) ending bugged me so much. I don't like that it's left so open to interpretation, I'd have liked it more if it was tied up at the end. There's so much potential it makes me want to scream out in frustration. Where's the Kristin Cashore who wrote Graceling? A lot could've been done differently. Maybe if this book had been keep in a "choose your own path" format I would've liked it better. Turning it into a novel is a good idea, but that suits the style of the story better.

I'm not the biggest fan of Jane, either. *le gasp* SHE HATES THE MAIN CHARACTER!! I love that she makes umbrellas and that a certain basset hound follows her everywhere, but besides these two points she's really quite plain. I love Kiran, and I love Patrick. Why couldn't they have had a more central role in the novel?

I don't really have anything else to say, I suppose you've heard it all. I love the ideas, the characters (except Jane), the whole spy theme. The repetitiveness got boring and there wasn't enough additional information to keep me interested. I guess I just hated the execution and that's the only reason I thought less of Jane, Unlimited.
Purchase Location: Borrowed From Library
Edition:
 Hardcover
Buy the book:
Book Depository
Recommended for: Fans of choose your own path.