I've managed to read quite a bit this month, and I think I'm well on track for my yearly goal! I've also completed my monthly goal of reading twelve books.


I decided to add this feature in, where I choose my favourite out of the books I've read this month. I'll attempt to pick some books of the year from these! They may not all be 2018 releases, just books I've read this month. The Book of the Month for January 2018 is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, because the story is powerful and compelling.

Runner-ups:
- Lifeblood by Gena Showalter
- The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis


Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicles #1) by Jay Kristoff
First Sentence: "People often shit themselves when they die."

The Whitechapel Fiend (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #3) by Cassandra Clare and Maureen Johnson
First Sentence: "'I spy,' George said, 'with my little eye, something that begins with S.'"

Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicles #2) by Jay Kristoff
First Sentence: "Nothing stinks quite like a corpse."

Lifeblood (Everlife #2) by Gena Showalter
First Sentence: "Sand in the hourglass falls, one grain at a time... time... one second bleeds into two... three..."

Saving Brad (The Kennedy Boys #5) by Siobhan Davis
First Sentence: "'You remember Rach, right, Brad?'"

The Nowhere Man (Evan Smoak #2) by Gregg Hurwitz
First Sentence: "A naked selfie."

Seven Trees of Stone (Thirteen Days of Midnight #3) by Leo Hunt
First Sentence: "The end begins on a cold December morning."

Buy a Bullet (Evan Smoak #1.5) by Gregg Hurwitz
First Sentence: "She takes the pain, takes it so well."

Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington/Nugi Garimara
First Sentence: "It was still very cool in the early summer morning; the fresh, clean air he breathed into his lungs felt good."

The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
First Sentence: "This is how I kill someone."

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
First Sentence: "I shouldn't have come to this party."

Buried Heart (Court of Fives #3) by Kate Elliott
First Sentence: "I stand poised on the short of Mist Lake like an adversary gathering focus before a Fives trial."

Average page count per day:

127 pages

Total page count:

3,947 pages over 12 books.

What did you read this month? Were there any stand out books?