The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #1) by Amy Engel
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Goodreads Summary: 
After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Review: 
After a nuclear war decimates the United States, two groups of survivors band together, but only after a fight for power. The Westfalls lost, and the Lattimers won. Now the survivors are separated into two groups, Eastglen and Westside. There are two wedding days, the main one where the sons of Eastglen marry the daughters of Westside. Ivy Westfall is destined to marry Bishop Lattimer, the president's son. But she is also entrusted with the task of killing him. When it turns out he is not the heartless boy she was told he was, things get complicated.

This book deserves more stars, really it does. I'd love to give them, but there is something missing from The Book of Ivy. It's an addicting and enjoyable read, however the language isn't very emotive and I felt barely anything whilst reading it.

It was also too stereotypical for me to like it as anything more than a breezy, no expectations read. "Girl meets boy, she's supposed to kill him but her plans fall to pieces when they fall in love." I wish I could say otherwise, but this is exactly how the story line went as far as relationships. Outside of this stereotype the writing is great, just used to make the above come true rather than creating more plot twists.

I recommend The Book of Ivy if you're looking for a quick read with not much depth, but other than that I wouldn't expect more from it. I liked the characters, but not the story.
Purchase Location: Bought from The Warehouse South Dunedin
Edition:
Paperback
Buy the book:
Book Depository
Recommended for: Fans of quick reads.